Friday 1 February 2013

Tarantino Toppers

Cake decorators have mad skills and can create cakes, or rather edible objects in some instances, that are just crazy good. While I like to dabble in in this fine art, the results tends to be a little clumsy because I haven't enough practice nor official training. I tend to use friends birthdays as an excuse to practice, in hopes that one day my fondant work will have a bit more finesse.

A friend of mine asked me to do cupcakes for her 21st, while I was flattered I was surprised she asked me. With some hesitation I said yes and found out the details and the theme. Well it was to be a Quentin Tarantino themed party. The only item I could think of that I could model out of fondant that embodies Tarantino's films were guns. Thank goodness for the Internet. No really, thank goodness for the Internet because I can't say I am overly familiar with his body of work. It was only mid last year that I first watched a Tarantino film, this was Pulp Fiction, only because my friend forced me to. In fact, I still have a pile of his Tarantino films at home in the 'to view' pile. Anyway, I digress, I had to set out to decorate 70 cupcakes, Tarantino themed.

Molding 70 fondant cake toppers began to be time consuming, finicky and resulted in a very frustrated Alison. I decided to try the hand painted technique. In the cake decorating book 'Mich Turner's Cake Masterclass', she uses this technique repeatedly with really beautiful results. (Mich Turner is an amazing cake decorator from London, and is the owner of the Little Venice Cake Company). I ended up creating 4 different toppers plus some normal iced cupcakes. There was a blood splatter topper, a gun topper, a sunglasses topper (like those worn in 'True Romance') and a cherry blossom topper (from 'Kill Bill', and inspired by some I had seen on Pinterest).

All in all, I thought they turned out well for cake decorating done by an amateur!







No comments:

Post a Comment