Tuesday 21 August 2012

Farmers markets in Adelaide


 
“Shipping is a terrible thing to do to vegetables. 
They probably get jet-lagged, just like people.”
~ Elizabeth Berry

Every Sunday, there are many wonderful farmers markets on throughout SA. Our closest one is the Gepps Cross Markets that are held in the drive in. For the first time in months I went to do the families fruit and veg shopping seeing as my mum usually does it, and she's away at the moment. So it was raining when I woke up and it looked down right dreary, but I mustered up the strength to leave the warm house and venture out.

Once I arrived the sun was actually out and it wasn't too cold or muddy, and then the fun began. I spent about $80 on fruit and veg, mind you this will last my family 2 weeks, maybe a little more. I love that so many of the famers can say that they were up that morning picking the produce and are now selling it to us. While I got some beautiful pink lady apples, organic oranges, and my personal favourite, some tangelos, I think the items I was most excited about were the carrots. They were stunning just sitting there glistening in the sun, and I just had to get a bunch (or two).

Next time I get a Sunday off (and the weather is decent) I'll head down to the Adelaide Showgrounds Farmers Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment