Tuesday 21 August 2012

Pour me a glass of that.




TEA is something that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling, not only when I'm drinking it but when I associate it with past events. I grew up being read Beatrix Potter books, and then when I was older I watched the animation on ABC, and now I own the books myself and the animation on DVD. I loved how the depiction of Beatrix Potter during the opening credits of the series would see her scurrying home in the rain, and arriving to her home with a fire crackling, then she pours herself a cup of tea. For those of you who are familiar with the books and series, her characters are constantly drinking tea as well. Tea would comfort me when I'm sick, I could make a cup for my Nana to show her I love her, or allow for my mum and I to spend some time with one another. We would make a pot of tea, and I'd get the Japanese tea cups out, and we'd sit with each other enjoying (usually) a variety of green tea. My other favourite tea memory would be when my Dad would take me to China town and we'd have yum cha, and we'd get a pot of Chinese Tea, which I would hurry to drink so I could tip the lid and see how long it took for the waiter to give us a refill. Tea was definately present in some of the nicer moments of my childhood.
 
My tea cup & submarine strainer
Tea seems to have made a come back lately with the establishment of T2 helping this progress, especially having only been in Adelaide for not even a year. Before that there was T-Bar in the David Jones building and at the Central Markets. We've also got Saldechin which has been around for quite a number of years which not only has an extensive tea menu, but a cocktail menu which features a few martinis that have been infused with tea. Many restaurants and cafes have a larger tea selection, which is wodnerful for those of us who are tea lovers. East Terrace Continetal serves T2 teas now and Devour Dessert Bar has a really enticing tea selection (the raspberry tea was delightful). A good tea selection definately enhances my opinion of a place.


I definately urge anyone who enjoys tea to grab a friend (or a book) and venture out and find a cafe to enjoy some nice tea, or maybe visit T2 or T-Bar (if you dare) and find some beautiful teas to take home with you. This is a risky idea because you could end up walking away with many teas, but an empty bank account. My next T-venture will be to the new establishment 'Teasel' (was named 'Teawana') that has just opened in James Place opposite Southern Cross Arcade.


Raspberry Tea from 'Devour Dessert Bar'
 

No comments:

Post a Comment